Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with AIX on RS/6000 B50

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaWohl

Programmer
Aug 23, 2005
AT
Hello everybody!

I've got a Problem with AIX on an Rs6000 B50 machine.
Here is what is going on. When I try to boot the machine it hangs. On the front panel I can see the digit 581, which means configuring TCP/IP. So I statet from my AIX 4.3.3 CD and got into single user mode. I tried to run smit mktcpip with no sucess. It returned an unknown Error with ifconfig.
So I typed the command ifconfig en0 and got the following back:

ifconfig error loading /usr/lib/drivers/if_en:Exec format error.

Could this be the reason why the machine can't boot?
Any Idieas how to fix this problem??

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Max

Sounds like a DNS issues to me.
This error reflects a network setting problem. Mostly after adding a new network board.

(The Machine will boot after about 20-30 minutes anyhow)

Possible solution:Delete the file /etc/resolv.conf
Reboot the system

Long live king Moshiach !

ifconfig error loading /usr/lib/drivers/if_en:Exec format error ---- this error is not resolv.conf related try a lppchk -v see if any files sets show up broken.

from CDROM to single user mode, you end up (hopefully) with all your rootvg filesystems, but a far from complete device configuration.

Also your running kernel (from CDROM) may not be compatible with all the software (e.g. device drivers) on your rootvg.

I would not attempt to start TCPIP from that single user startup.

Take MosiachNow's advice (however I would rename /etc/resolv.conf, not delete it) and see if your server still "hangs" at 581. You should be able to do this rename or delete from CDROM single user mode, then just issue sync a few times and restart the box.

There are some redbooks which deal with "hang on boot" situations. Google around for them: [led code 581 aix] should get you there.

HTH,

p5wizard

Hello!

First of all thanks for your replies. So it seems that I fixed the problem by doing the following:
1) bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice
2) sync;sync
3) shutdown -Fr

Now the machine is coming up, but still I c'nt log in. So on the console it tells me press enter to get a login prompt. But when I do this that message comes again and again. The machine is still not reachable from the network.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Still plugged in to the network? Can you ping the machine?

HTH,

p5wizard

Hi p5wizard!

No I can't ping the machine.
He also tells me that he can't talk with two other machines who are NFS servers.

Some suggestions??

regards

Try removing the device & then run cfgmgr

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Hi everybody!

OK I fixt the roblem with the cannot talk to statd at the NFS Servers by deleting the /etc/sm* directories and the /etc/state File.

But there is still the login Problem. Here is the output:

Suspending Desktop Login
Press [Enter] for a login prompt

This message is repeating all the time, and I just don't get a login prompt.

Any ideas how to log in!

Thanks again to all replies!!

regards

Max

I would suggest using a different network cable, or plug the network cable in another network adapter port of your B50 (if it has more than one port).

Is the port on switch/hub to which your server is connected enabled? Maybe you want to talk to your network admins.

Did you do anything to your device database - or anything period - prior to your inital reboot that hung at 581?

Ok you don't have the NFS messages anymore, but you didn't fix the network problem, you just told the NFS client software not to bother about the 2 NFS server machines...

HTH,

p5wizard

Hi!

So of course I still have the network problem! But the major problem is that I cannot log in to the machine via console. I guess there is some missconfiguration of the network device, cause the Hardware was already checked.

So all I want do do at the moment is to log on via console.

But this seems to be impossible.

regards

Max

Looks to me like your security related files in /etc are somehow corrupted.
Your only chance to check it is booting from AIX CD.

Long live king Moshiach !

Hi!

OK! I can boot from cd and log in! So what do I have to do to see if my security related files are corrupted? Which files are those? How to fix?

Thanks for your help!

regards

Hi,

do you have a real ASCII console term like Ibm3151 attached or do you have a laptop with serial cable and terminal emulation. If it is the second, the emulation could send wrong characters to the serial port.

Second I would check from the "CD" login, if the console is login enabled. For mne it looks like it is not. Do you have a line in your initab like

cons:0123456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/console

??

Look for smitty console and look for the "login activated" line

regards

mad

Advanced Interactive eXecutable

Hi!

Yes I habe a real Terminal. Its a ibm3153.

I checked the inittab file, and yes I found a line like cons:0123456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/console

in smitty console, console login was also enabled.

But still I can't log on.

Any other Ideas??

Do you have a graphic display in this box as well as the 3153?
sounds like you may need to look at /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/netsvc.conf too. The graphical startup is haveing problems with the host or hosts.

If possible remove said graphics card and see what else happens..

Hi all!

I now brought down my machine and installed AIX Version 5.3 on it. But I still have a login problem. After the installation the machine came up with no error and displayed the console log in screen.

Now when I try to log in the screen refreshes and I see again the console login screen.

So has anyone an idea of what is going on here??

Please please help!

Thanks!

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back