Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Admin Console on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

majikal1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
We have the Windows Netbackup Admin Console installed on our
LAN, yet are getting some variations of the GUI when opening it on different PC's. For example, on one PC we are able to access the Master Server Properties with all of it's tabs, and on another we only get one tab. Another example is that, when accessing the 'Specify NetBackup Machines' window on the Backup, Archive, and Restore GUI, one PC will be fine while another will be missing the 'Destination Clients' tab.

We have verified that all PC's are loading the Console from the same location/path.

Any ideas?

Security. Each of the desktops needs to be in the servers list for all media servers that you want to connect to.

We have 4 PC's set up. They each have a SERVER = 'name' entry in the bp.conf for each server. Per our Sys Admin, we are using a DNS to avoid having to post entries in the /etc/host file, and that appears to be correct since we can access the program at all.

Ping the name of the admin console from the master and see what the response it - Make note of the FQDN's. Then ping the Ip with a -a to get the DNS name. This is likely related to DNS.

Barrig that, try using HOSTS files in the interim to see if you get connectivity - Personally I only use HOSTS to check DNS problems and I do not recommend it as a long term solution.

Not to ask a stupid question, but I want to be specific; by pinging the admin console, do you mean the PC it is being run from? For example, our 4 PC's are named DGROPS1 thru 4, and all have static IP addresses.

From the Admin Console - i.e. DGROPS1 etc ping the master. From the master ping DGROPS1 etc.

Thanks.

Apparently, this has been resolved by verifying (reinstalling) the software. However, to answer your question, the configuration that our Sys Admin is using has two masters, one 'internal' and one 'DMZ'. Our firewall is set not to allow ICMP to internal systems, so I cannot ping from the DMZ master to the Admin Console. However, since Veritas and Console are using TCP to connect, this should not effect operations.

Thanks for your help and input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back