Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with Active Directory, DHCP and DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthijsTH

Technical User
Sep 13, 2007
NL
Hello,

I am having a few problems with Active Directory, DHCP and DNS.

First problem:
There was a domain migration in the past and someone before my time left 3 non-existing domain controllers in the AD.
I'm affraid to delete them and because they don't exist anymore I can't run the dcpromo.
Can I just leave them there or is there a safe way to get rid of them?

Second problem:
It takes a really long time before a client computer gets an IP address from our DHCP server.
We have only one DHCP server, but when I look in DHCP. There are two servers. One is disabled and says that the DHCP server cannot be found.
This is an existing server, but not a DHCP server (also on another domain)(DHCP service is non-existing also...).
Can I just delete this? Does this affect the time before a client gets an IP address?

When I look in the DHCP scope options I see that for DNS options that there are a few server IP addresses filled in I don't want there. For instance one server is one of the old DC's, but is now another server (with the same IP address). It's not a DNS server anymore. I can imagine that that causes a lot of network traffic for nothing, because the server cannot give an answer to the dns request.
When I check the network traffic with the network monitor on that server it get's a lot of DNS requests. I looked on my local laptop with Wireshark and see a lot of movement with the IP address of the old DNS server.
Can I delete this one and change the order of servers in the DNS scope option without messing anything up?

So you see, finding a problem is one, but solving it is a whole other ballgame......
Thanks to my predecessor (hopefully I got this word right...)

I'm depending on you guys/girls thank you very much in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back