Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with a Toshiba Laptop display

Status
Not open for further replies.

NghiaHuuTran

Technical User
Feb 25, 2006
CA
Hi, currently as I was operating my Toshiba labtop and something between the CPU and display snapped. Now the monitor will only display black (but if a light was shone at it you can faintly see the display). I was just wondering what it could be. Maybe a loose wire?

It looks like the backlight of your display stopped working. It can be the light tube itself, it can be the inverter module, it can be the wiring that powers the inverter module that broke.

A backlight inverter drives the tube at some 300vac if the tube works, and to over 1000vac if the tube does not emit light. If you do not have experience at playing with this, I do not recommend that you open the laptop. Shorting this voltage to the rest of the laptop might fry the rest of the circuitry. A certified repair center for your laptop will usually have a list of the common problems for your particular model. The failure that you see is common to many laptops, so the repair people shouldn't fiddle too long before repairing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back