Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with a repaired machine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrymalega

Technical User
Jul 10, 2004
US
Hey guys...I'm tryin to hook up a friend by fixin his broke machine. What's the "top end" of ram for the minimum 98 install??? I keep getting throught the driver install, then the machine hangs. It's a "dinky" little thing with only 2 sdr slots. I upped the ram to 2 256 sticks and the thing went for a loop. It has a celeron 433 under the hood so you would think it would take an upgrade to at least 98 1st edition, huh? I am fixin to put 95 back in it, but I thought one of you guys might be able to render assistance. Thanks,
I await your responses like the eskimo awaits snowfall....

Windows 98SE requires at least a 486/66MHz processor, 24MB RAM and 190 to 400MB free HD space. Look for a bios update and make sure correct and recent drivers are being used including those for the motherbaord.

Celeron usually uses PC100 memsticks. Is this what you tried?

A 433 Celeron should easily run 98SE with 32mb or more.
98/SE has a memory ceiling of around 384mb (something like that) any more (512) can create problems.
So 256mb with this older OS is plenty enough for most things.
You could setup quick easily with just one stick of 32mb if you wanted.
As micker points out, PC133 can also have compatibility issues with certain motherboards around this era so use PC66 or 100 if possible.
Pull out all addon cards and external devices (printers, scanners, modems etc) to see if it's one of these that is causing the problem.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back