Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems With a jukebox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesFSC

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a scalar 100 jukebox attached to my networker server and i when i try to run a job i get the following message:

the device is in use
eject operation in progress
unload error for jukebox

then it just keeps trying every 30s to unload. It gets the error because there is no tape in the drive. The jukebox nows this so does the networker software or it appears to as it shows the drives empty.

any ideas as to what is going on here?

Are the jukebox and the tape drives SCSI direct attached or attached via a Fibre switch?

If it is on Windows, make sure that you have the Removable Store Manager service disabled.

the jukebox is directlry attached via scsi to the backup server but has 2 drives attached to a netapp filer via scsi and being using with ndmp.

this is a solris box so no windows problems.

im only having problems with one drive as well now which is strange

ok well now this is getting weird.

if i do a mount on the drive it verifys the tape label then just sites there saying the drive is in use and trys to unmount whatever is in it...

if i kill the mount the admin says nothing is loaded but the config does and there is the correct tape in the drive.

ive tried nsrjb -H to no availe

any ideas

before this problem happened, was the server booted using a -r ?

Be careful - keep in mind that in such environment NetWorker only controls the jukebox - the filer is controlling the devices.

Find out whether it is really taliking to the correct device - it could be that it uses the other one. That's the usual explaination why the media can be loaded but not read (it needs to check an existing label first).

but we have had this working for about 4 months now so why would it suddenly stop working after a reboot

ok so ths is where im at

theres a tape in the drive
the jukebox nows its there
in networker media->jukebox shows it as there
in networker the main screen shows it empty

if i try to unload it i get this

nsrd: rd=branetfile1a:nrst1a Eject operation in progress
nsrmmd #3: failed to close ndmp tape device
nsrmmd #3: failed to open ndmp tape device
nsrmmd #3: ndmp tape setstate failed
nsrd: media info: unload error for jukebox `brabackupujb' detected. Retrying
nsrd: media info: unload retry for jukebox `brabackupujb': sleeping 30 seconds
nsrd: media info: unload retry for jukebox `brabackupujb' failed - will retry again.

any ideas people

Did you consider hardware problems?
Tape drives may get out of order now and then ...

yes but it was working before the reboot that caused all these problems

maybe the scsi addresses of the tape drives were changed after the reboot. check what the system gives as address and then check the addresses in legato which were setup before.
we have had this on a tru64 system

not sure what we did but there now both working again.

thanks for the help all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back