Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with 8mm tapes unloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargeG

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
My workgroup received over 200 Sony QG112MAa tapes from another department at work. We were going to use these tapes for backups. But every time I try to load one of these tapes in the drive the tape kicks back out. I can not get one of these tapes to stay in the drive. I've tried cleaning the drive,etc. Any suggestions??? Other 8mm tapes that we have recycled worked in the past. Thanks

My only suggestion would be to verify that your model of tape drive can accept the type of tape you're trying to use.

The 5G/10G 8mm drives should spit the 20G AME tapes out.

hi,

Are your tapes 2.5/5GB capacity ?

if you do lsattr -El rmt? what is the size it reports
as chapter 11 has pointed out the reason they are spitting out is becuase the tapes are not compatible , you need to by
the correct tapes ?

what tapes were you using before ?

Also, if the tapes were written with an extended capacity drive (i.e.: 7/14GB) then they will eject on 5/10GB drives. They can only be read AND the write protect tab must be set.
As the prior posts stated - check the model/capacity of your drive.

another fun fact: IBM will tell you to use only IBM tapes... nevermind they are all made by Exabyte.

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back