Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems while creating libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnammu

Programmer
Oct 16, 2003
IN
Hi,
I have a library compiled on a SUN 5.8 server using C compiler.
When i take the same source code to another SUN server which has same version of OS and C compiler, the library sizes are having huge (almost double the size) differences. There are no compilation or linking errors/warnings. The make rules are also same.

Can I ignore these difference in the library size.
If i do
ar -t <libname>, the no. of objects included in libarries from 2 servers are same.

What were the optimisation options they were built with by default?

(Just checking :) )

Matthew

Family motto: Curvus, non infractus.
The Universe: God's novelty screensaver?

hi Mattaw,

Thanks, for the quick response,
i dont know much about these complier optimization options, but i searched on net and i found it can be given using "-O" flag, and i cant see any -O flag used during the compilation.
And what i found is the only difference on the two servers is "-g" option while compling which includes debug info.

but i am still confused.

Suggest me for the same.

Not really, debug info is a HUGE number of entry and exit points and variable tables and names. It allows the debugger to map variable types and locations to human names and find functions etc.

It would explain everything.

Also the debugging libraries will run slower (generally speaking)

Matthew

Family motto: Curvus, non infractus.
The Universe: God's novelty screensaver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back