Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems w/ win98 peer to peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBrian

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have 2 computers I'd like to be able to access files between the 2 and also share internet access. I have a comcast cable connection. To do this, I have a Linksys 4-port cable router and 2 linksys 10/100 nic cards. I am able to see each computer in the network, but one of the pc's seems to freeze a lot whenever anything is done network-related...internet, file transfer, etc. This happens consistently when i try to transfer large files from one pc to the other. Small files seem to transfer with no problem. I am using tcp/ip. Should i be? Or should i be using Netbui? I am no network expert, so i have no idea. Any ideas?

Howdy:

Enable Netbeui on each.. Works way better than TCP/IP on small networks such as your own.

Murray

If I'm not mistaken NetBeui is not a routable protocol, which means it cannot be used with a router to share an internet connection. One of the most common reasons for freezeup is not enough system resources available. What o/s are you running on the one that freezes up?

Jon,

I have exactly the samer problem. Please let me now if you have resolved it.

Avi

Jon what part of this country do you live as i have comcast cable tv but bellsouth adsl.

If the two machines are similar, I would suggest that you go to and run their diagnostics. A comparison may reveal differences that should not be.

For example, in the details link I have uncovered more than a few computers that showed an internet cache that exceeded the maximum desired cache to allocate. My understanding of the way cache works is that it tries to free up space when there is no known free cache resources. Who knows what goes on when the cache has been overflowed?

In those cases, I have used their repair tool to clear the cache. The incidence of hangs, freezing, and slowness for those machines disappeared almost completely after that.

They also recommend a cache size not larger than 80MB. Any excessiveness in cache size could cause huge unproductive CPU cycles being used to check your cache for minimal gain and thereby also possibly contributing to memory leakage.

It is also always a good move to eliminate spyware sources as a possible cause or contributor to the problems observed. Try SpyBot, AdAware, and/or PestPatrol for added peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back