Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems viewing pages in Netscape 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwatty

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2001
GB
I have developed a simple web-site in Ultradev were all but the home page are based on templates.

The header bar is constructed using a background gif tiled across the space and also various rollover buttons and coloured gif.

When I view this in Netscape 4 it ends up looking like a picasso painting on acid.

When I test the page for Netscape compatibility within Ultradev is says that Netscape 4 and below don't support the left and top margin tags. Is there anyway around this without the page looking like it has a huge white border?

Please help me, I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am.

HI there,

There is a Netscape resize fix built into UD under the Commands menu. This simply refreshs the page to allow Netscape to sort out the page layout. This may still not help you, the only way forward is to design your pages to make them Browser Version 3 compatible. This is available through the File menu, but be aware some of the features that you are using may not be compatible with that level of Browser.
I routinely test my products on NS 4.75 and IE 4 and above and tear my hair out when all my fine work looks like Jackson Pollock barffed on it, it's an evil thing that is Netscape. Little consolation but my heart goes out to you!

[tongue]

I have thought about doing a browser detect/redirect thing which sends old NS clients to the IE download site, but I was advised against that. You could have a dedicated page that suggests that they would like to upgrade their browser to NS6 which is a little more sympathetic to ASP/VBScript and modern design packages.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

M
"There are 3 kinds of people; those that can count and those that can't"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back