Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems using VSS and Studio for team development

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheilbut

Programmer
Apr 24, 2002
BR
I created a project in Visual Studio 2005. I then created a database in Visual Source Safe 2005. I created 3 users for my team to access my project as well. All of this was created in a common netword folder so all could have access.
When I am using my project, I can check-out and check-in without any problems, but when my 2 co-workers try to check-out a document, it gives the following error:
"Your source control provider encountered an access error".
Can anyone help me setup my environment to make this work?

Thanks so much in advance!

Michel, São Paulo, Brazil

Have you tried creating a dummy text file in the source safe directory using your coworker's account? This will tell us whether it is VSS or Networking that needs to be fixed.

Some things you may want to check:

1. Check that you have granted access rights to the directory. (Right click the dir -> Properties -> Security tab)

2. Check that you have granted access rights to the directory share. (Right click the dir -> Properties -> Sharing Tab -> Permissions button)

3. Check that the names set up for users in the VSS Admin tool match thoes of your coworker's windows login.

4. Check that in the VSS Admin tool Tool/Options->General Tab that the "Use network name for automatic login" option is set.

There is a guide to VSS security here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back