Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems using the pre tag with innerHTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango1948

Programmer
Dec 23, 2006
IL
Hi,
I'm having problems outputing preformatted text using the <pre> tag with innerHTML - the output is incorrectly formated - using the <pre> tag on the same text without innerHTML works fine.
Anyone know of any problems or solutions for using <pre> with innerHTML.
Thanks for any help

David

There is no problem settnig the innerHTML of PRE elements. Take this:

Code:
<html>
<head>
	<style type="text/css">
		div {
			border: 1px solid #CC0000;
			margin-bottom: 10px;
		}
	</style>

<script type="text/javascript">

window.onload = populateDivs;

function populateDivs() {
			document.getElementById('div2').innerHTML = document.getElementById('div1').innerHTML;
			document.getElementById('div3').innerHTML = '<pre>\n\t\t\tThe cat\n\n\n\n\t\t\tsat on           the\n\n\t\t\t\tmat\n\t\t</pre>';
		}

</script>
</head>

<body>

<div id="div1">
		<pre>
			The cat

sat on           the

mat
		</pre>
	</div>

<div id="div2">
	</div>

<div id="div3">
	</div>
</body>
</html>

The first DIV contains a PRE that is hard-coded. The second gets its contents from the first, and the third is set using purely JS.

In both IE 6 and Fx 2, they all look identical (and correct) to me... So perhaps it's something else in your code / styling?

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Post your JavaScript. I imagine the problem lies in real returns and tabs in quotes instead of the escape chars that Billy Ray used above... but we won't know exactly the problem until we see the code you're using.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Perhaps it's worth David trying to fix his issue based on my code above, and taking it over to forum216 if it's now turning into more of a JS problem than an HTML one?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back