Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Using MSDN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Custom24

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
GB
Does anyone else find this not so good?
Usually it throws up too many hits which are not related to VB. To stop it doing this, in the CD version you have to select VB documentation as the subset, and online you have to set your filters every time.
The other thing is that if you do find something, it usually returns a page with no indication of what technology it applies to, or where in the help structure it has found it.
I think that it really is wasting my time and restricting my development, but maybe I'm just using it wrong
Any thoughts
Mark

Know what you mean, I got mine from a friend. It was the DVD version of everything microsoft ever documented(7GB!)
My opinion, find answers online and use msdn by table of contents or index. never by keyword search.

Now, if anybody knows how to trim down an already installed msdn I'm all ears. All I want to keep is the VB,C and tech doc. Don't need docs on foxpro,access etc..

Thanks for this tip John
The online sync toc does nothing on my computer, but the CD is much better now
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back