Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems transferring data using USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbhandari

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
This one's weird. I have a laptop running XP and a desktop running ME, no laughing please :)

I can copy files to the flash drive on ME, and then copy them properly to XP. This is fine. But when I copy files to the flash drive on XP, and then view them in ME, ME randomly shows certains files and folder in all caps. And this is how the files get copied too when I copy them over to ME, which causes problems because I'm copying website files/folders.

The problem's just in how ME is reading the files, because I can then put the drive back into the XP machine, and it reads the files just fine. It's just ME that seems to randomly show certain files and folders in all caps. I can't figure out what's causing this. Tried formatting the drive. Tried contacting tech support for the flash drive. Anyone have any thoughts?

NTFS on the XP box maybe? Does the XP box have any kind of encryption / secure file system?

My default answer for this one would always be: Unplug ME box, toss out of nearest window...(but you already said no laughing ;o) )

HTH...

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

Hmmm... Actually, I do have NTFS on the XP box. I've tried it both ways with encryption (which doesn't matter because the encryption doesn't hold when transferring to the flash drive). Is there anyway to change the file system of just the files that I want to copy over?

Did you by any chance try zipping the files in question before transferring them to the flash drive and seeing what happens on the other end?

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+

Hey! Great idea! It worked! Not sure what's going on, or why it even works, but it does. Thanks for the suggestion!

Glad to be of assistance!

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back