Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Sharing Folders and Files in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarloZ

Programmer
Dec 15, 2001
CA
Hello guys,

i have several computers running on windows xp pro, home and one windows 98. the networking is peer to peer. they used to see each other and access shared folders of each computer for two years now, but just happened one day that it gives error messages about "you dont have permission to view..." when you want to access from xp computer to shared folder in another xp computer. and when you try to browse the shared folders from win 98 computer it can see the computers in the network but shows "\\computername\ip$" and could not access the computer. so it there any trick for these or settings i have to change or any patch. i would appreciate any response. thank you guys....

having the same problem my self. Have you recently installed SP2 for XP?

SP2 will enable the XP firewall by default. The configuration would have to be checked for your setup or the firewall turned off.

Network connection problem from W98SE
thread779-873879

I had to punch (4) holes in the XP firewall inorder to get file and print sharing to work.

TCP 139
TCP 445
UDP 137
UDP 138

I just named them "File and Print (1-4)"

Worked out for me, hope you have the same luck.

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

Click the Exceptions tab, double-click "File and Printer Sharing", click "Change scope" at bottom left, and set it to your LAN subnet.

heloo guys,

i havent installed the service pack 2, they are all in service pack 1. the same settings that used to work for two years. the firewall in xp computers are diabled.

any suggestions......

thanks,
don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back