Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems setting up raid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunky28

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
GB
I have successfully managed to setup raid in this way before but I am currently experieincing problems with it.

Here is what I have done:

I have a motherboard with 4 controllers on it (Abit KR7A-133R)

The standard IDE 1 and IDE 2 plus IDE 4 and 5 (raid controllers).

I installed windows 2000 on one disk (Maxtor 80 GB) then connected this as the master on IDE 3. I then attached a 2nd Maxtor 80 GB disk (different model though) as a master on IDE 4.

I then selected Ctrl H on startup to enter the RAID GUI. I selected RAID 1 here, specified the 2 disks as source disk and target disk and started the duplication process.

It actually took about 5 hours to duplicate.

Nevertheless the duplication was successfull.

But now I reboot the PC go into the BIOS and set RAID as 3rd in the boot sequence (behind the floppy drive and CD-ROM).....but it will not boot.

The starting disk (IDE 3) is set as the boot disk (HDD0) in the RAID GUI and the second disk (IDE 4) is hidden (as expected with raid 1).

I know windows is on both disks as I can boot from both if I connect each to IDE 1 and set HDD0 as 3rd in the boot sequence.

Is there something I have missed?

Any help would be most appreciated

There is a software raid utility which I guess I could use but setting up on the hardware using the raid bios is much better....so I understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back