Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems sending mail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutje

Programmer
Sep 19, 2001
BE
Hi,

I have the following problem:
when I send a mail it goes to my server but after a while I get this message back:

<begin message>
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

neutje@hotmail.com
<end message>

as you can see the server has deliver problems, how can I configure sending mails ?
what do I have to do ?
The server is always connected to the internet, so that should not be any problem!
I hope someone can help me cause its kinda sucky when you can't reply to someone...

greetz,
Neutje

Does you exchange server sit being a firewall or a SMTP virus scanner? You need to make sure that your e2k server had the DNS entries for your ISPs DNS servers.

If you sit begind a SMTP scanner you need to create a SMTP routing connector and set it to deliver via a smart host (your SMTP scanner). Set the Address space to SMTP * for the connector.

(I think that's right) ... well it's how mine is working :)

Hi,

tnx 4 your reply!

my server is not behind a firewall
i have no idea what a smtp virus scanner (a virus scanner that scans all mails or so ?) is so i dont think i have it...

I also think that the dns servers are ok, cause I can surf to websites from my server and sending mails is the only problem I have on my server...

do I need a connector ?

You need to create an 'internet mail connector'. From your exchange system manager expand down to the Connectors node. From there seclect New SMTP connector.

Give it a name. Add a local bridge head server (ie your server). Click on the Address Space tab. Click Add, select SMTP. Click OK. (the * means all mail that's not you). That should be it.

Hope this helps.

done,

in the address space tab I selected &quot;allow messages to be relayed to these domains&quot;
I think that is needed to, am I correct ?

going to test it now, tnx again 4 fast reply :)

Neutje

I would't leave the 'relay' option on as (I think) it means that other people can use your server for spamming.

I would recommend that you install a firewall and/or and SMTP Virus scanner infront of your server. I use the Trend InterScan ( server for SMTP virus scanning and it works fine.

oh, I dont want that others use my server to spam, I will check this when I'm able to send mails!

I'm not gonna install a firewall or smstp virus scanner yet, first I want to be alble to send mails :)

tnx 4 your help, i'm realy happy someone wants to help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back