Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems sending mail from outlook express within the LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuruvilla

MIS
Jul 31, 2002
GB
I have a problem when sending mail to external users from outlook express the mails remain in the out box with the following error

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'louis_kk@hotmail.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'babtain', Server: 'babtain.babtain.com.kw', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Relaying is prohibited', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have no problem when using MS outlook for sending & receving mails from the LAN

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Are you trying to send mail using Uutlook Express from inside your Lan? Why?

But either way, here is some info:

Your Exchange is setup to stop spam relay. This is a security messure to avoid being used as a spam relay. To configure this, open Exch Admin, go to the Internet Mail Service properties, select "Routing" and at the bottom, select "Routing Restrictions".

There should be a check inside "hosts and clients that successfully authenticate." This means that only authenticated clients will be able to route mail using your exchange server.

So firstly, on your lan, you would need to make sure that your firewall allows POP3 and SMTP mail. And in Outlook Express, go to Tools, Accounts. Open the properties for you account that you have setup. Click on servers, and at the bottom, select 'My server requires authentication'. Click on settings and make sure that the 'use same settings as incoming mail server' is selected. This will make sure that you are authenticated with your server when you send mail as well as when you are receiving.

This worked for me when I was trying to POP my mail from home - I had also received the same error as you have when I had tried sending mail! (Receiving worked fine) I'm not sure about internally...but I've given you some of the background as to why it gives the relay error. If I were you, I would just use the Outlook with an Exchange client to send/receive mail.

Cheers,

Julian

Hello Julian,
I have almost a similar problem where I wish to send an email from a process and the server returns the error code or pops up the dialog for sending the mail.
Is there a way i can avoid any interrupts in sending a mail from my process. If so, what do I need to use ?
Regards
Nimraj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back