Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems sending e-mail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkITMan

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
We can now receive e-mail, but am unable to send any outside e-mail. Is there anyone out there that has any insight to why this is happening from experience. All services are started and Internet Mail is set up.

I'm having the same problems. Although I have two clients on Outlook 2000, setup them up like Internet Mail accounts instead of directly to Exchange Server.... they can send out?

Help!

I've tried setting them up like internet mail accounts, but they still can't send for some reason.

I get this error back when trying to send outide e-mails:

Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a= ;p=thecompany> p;l=MSMAIL0203111202GSDBZ32H
> MSEXCH:IMS:The Company:Destin:MSMAIL 3902 (000B09AA)
> Host Unknown
>

Have you configured DNS setting in your TCP/IP properties on exchange box? Is there a firewall access-list preventing sending? Any enent log errors?

DNS setting are correct in TCP/IP on the exchange box and theire are no restrictions on sending through the firewall.

The error you're getting is a DNS resolution problem. The email server is unable to resolve the destination domain. From the Exchange server can you do an NSLookup on the domain names you're trying to send to? And does your firewall allow your email server to directly connect to outside addresses? If not, you'll need to either setup your firewall to act as a mail proxy or setup a relay host outside your firewall to deliver to internet destinations.

It would appear to me that your ISP has not set an MX record for your mail server. I would talk to your ISP.

Regards

What if, the Internet Email was working before AND 6 months after implementing a firewall? I have 1 server acting as the file and email server behind a firewall. I recently implemented a DNS&BIND Forwarding Server. Do you think that would have screwed up the MX records???

Or could the IMS and MTA be corrupted? It this is the case, is it easy enough to remove IMS and reinstall? I've never done anything like that...I don't want to screwed up Exchange anymore than it is :(

Thanks,

Good news....It wasn't the server or the settings or the firewall. It turned out to be a slacker with the phone company and our ISP. They didn't make the changes when they said they did. Seems one person took the notes and went on vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back