Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Reverse Engineering and refreshing with ASP Provider Schemas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmck

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2004
US
I've been using Visio Enterprise Architect (with VS 2003) for a while. I recently added ASP.NET's membership schema to our database. Visio seems to be having a lot of problems with it though. Every time I refresh the model it finds changes in the indexes of one or more of the tables, especially with one table. This is an example of the refresh results:

"The following tables were changed in the database.

aspnet_Roles
Alternate key 'aspnet_Roles_index1' was added

Alternate key 'aspnet_Roles_UC2' was dropped"

Every time I refresh, aspnet_Roles_UC2 will increment to UC3 and UC4 and so on with the original never actually dropping. Hence there are many indexes, along with many copies of aspnet_roles_index1. Eventually Visio stops detecting new indexes but once you save the model and refresh it again, it starts all over again.

Unless I'm missing something, the model also doesn't seem to catch the second index of a compund key in the aspnet_UsersInRoles table.

I started out with only having the Membership and Roles schemas installed on and SQL2000 database and using Visio Enterprise Architect (with Visual Studio 2003). I have since tried many combanations, including using Visio 2007 professional and SQL2005.

I have created two fresh databases with each SQL2000 and SQL2005 for a total of four databases. One database would have all membership providers schemas installed and the other with only the membership and roles provider schemas. With Visio EA only I made models of the SQL 2000 databases only since it can't connect to SQL2005. However with Visio 2007 Pro I made models of all 4 fresh databases and they all had the same problem.

The only time I've had any luck is with reverse engineering an old SQL2000 test database I used just for playing with the ASP membership providers a while back. For some reason it was ok, but I couldn't see any differences in the schema.

Has anyone else run into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back