Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Reinstalling Microsoft Office97

Status
Not open for further replies.

daone

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have had office97 installed on my system for a long time... at the time I installed the program I didnt install powerpoint because I thought I would never need it... Well it turns out that I was wrong so I loaded the office disk and tried to install powerpoint with no luck... So I decided to remove office and reinstall it... So I removed the software using the windows add/remove software options and after more reading I ran eraser97 from the microsoft site to get rid of all the registry stuff left behind... the I go to reinstall office... It gets to the point that asks me to enter the key code info in that works fine Then it tries to copy files from the cd... when this happens I get a message that says can't run off97inv.dll and from that point everything else goes south.. I know that the disk is good because I used it on one of my other pc's to make sure the disk was fine and office installs just fine... please help me if you can

thanks daone

I took a look at my Ofc 97 and the location that came back for that file is D:\VALUPACK\OSB\SETUP. You may want to check if the path is similar.

My only other suggestion is to copy it to a search path such as \windows or \winnt or \whatever-search-path-is-available.

Write back to let us know if this helps or not.
--MiggyD It's better to have two heads to solve a problem from different angles than to have tunnel vision to a dead end.

daone, Take a look at this link:

It suggests that you startup your machine with the minimal of apps in the background (particularly antivirus software) and it should resolve your problem.

Also, you may want to take a look at:

which gives you a listing of all the files on the installation disks (or CABs).

Hasit

Thanks so much for your help the first link did the trick for me disabled Norton AntiVirus and it installed with no problems

Thanks Again daone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back