Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems printing to shared printer in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

akiva96

Technical User
Jan 12, 2002
US
Running XP Home Edition. The printer is a Canon Multipass C755.
After installing XP and loading new software and drivers, I am trying to share the printer, but I get a spoolsv.exe error when printing from the other computers. Local printing is fine.
The error message is: "The instruction at ' address ' referenced memory at ' address '. The memory could not be read."
I get these errors whether I am printing from my wife's Win98SE computer or my other XP machine.

Anybody have any ideas? This one has got me stumped!

Just thought of something else,

When sharing the printer from XP there is an option on the Sharing Tab (of Printer Properties) for Aditional Drivers. You may need/want to install the proper drivers on XP for the other users to use the printer.

Download the latest and greatest from Cannon for the appropriate OS.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Thanks for the reply - I have installed the XP drivers - I successfully shared this device when running WinME in the past. I also e-mailed Canon support - below was their sub-standard (in my opinion) reply.

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately, Canon does not support the C755 as a shared/network unit.
Canon does not support MultiFunction units across networks. Again, we
apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your interest in Canon. We look forward to assisting you
in the future.

I replied that I will not be needing their assistance in the future as I will never own another Canon product. ;-)

It still might work. Install the 98 drivers on the xp machine from the sharing option. This allows the remote machine to control the device using the right drivers. The alternative is to install the printer to a virtual port on the 98 machine. I think you can do that on 98. Look in properties for some way to set the port to be used by the printer and create a new on called \\xpcomputername\printernameonxp. Even if 98 can't do this the other xp machine can for sure. In that case the drivers on the 1st xp machine will be used for the 2nd one. If not try installing on the second xp macine like I said for the 98 but use the xp drivers.

I have bidirectional printers (HP in my case) that are shared XP to XP. That is the issue by the way, the printer needs to be able to talk back and forth with the driver.

I hear you about never buying another Cannon product. I made the same decision about HP after having a very serious run in with their Support. They all bite! But you can't expect real techs if they are paid burger flipping wages.

First, thanks for all the help RJ. I do appreciate it.

I tried the additional drivers as well as adding the virtual port to both my other machines - still no go. I believe the issue is a conflict between the spoolsv.exe service and the proprietary Multipass drivers program that is required to communicate with the device. I will keep on keeping on in hopes on resolving this. My other option is to get a Laser printer (I have a good excuse now!) that has a NIC built in. Then I can just print to an IP address...
If you have any other ideas...

Thanks again!

Sorry we couldn't make it work.

However, any excuse for a new toy is always a good thing, I hear color lasers are getting cheaper.:)

Do ME a favor and don't buy an HP. Lexmark, Samsung, Brother all come to mind. This was not a paid advertisement. It was induced by BAD service.

I took your advice and didn't get an HP. I bought a Samsung ML-1250. It's inexpensive and has very good quality output. Took about 10 minutes to set it up on all three of my boxes. (Through my router - something I couldn't do with my Canon even before XP!)

Great, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back