Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems on 98, with McAfee 4.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortenleth

Technical User
Jan 6, 2006
DK
Hey guys...

I have been expirensing some very frustrating things in the past week....
My Windows 98 machines with McAfee 4.5.1, with th latest DAT, 4683....
The things is, they simply chrash, but only once in a while...

After logon they crash with blue screen.... i'm running blind i must say...
Any help is very appreciated..

Mcafee 451 is out of support, I guess it is too bad, I would use this as a good excuse deleting this old OS and reinstall with XP. Bye the way I also still got about 20 WIN95 mashines..... but i only update unce a week, and not dat 4683. I hope you will find a way through....

There are big problems with McAfee 4.51 latest DATs (starting November 2005) and scan engine 4400, blue screens, system slowdown and others. If you have 4400 engine, temporary solution is to downgrade to 4320 engine. I have done this and am happy. There will be 5000 engine without these problems in february or march this year.

You can download 4320 engine from McAfee website, it is SuperDAT package with engine only, no DATs.

To install older engine you should use /f switch like this
4320eng.exe /f

If you are using automatic DAT updates on this computer, uncheck 'Update scanning engine if newer exists' in AutoUpdate configuration. If this is checked autoupdate will download and install 4400 engine again on next schedule.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back