Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems moving GP 6.0/ SQL 7.0 to new SQL 2000 Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiz1

Programmer
May 28, 2003
US
To all, we are moving gp from an old server (gp6.0/sql server7.0) to a new server (gp6.0/sql server 2000). We selected all options in the sql server 2000 copy wizard and moved everything to it. GP 6.0 has been installed on the new server with no apparent problems. What to do next? When we launch gp we select our company and get the following error message: ( Bad Component Offset: 80Wind etc..) we select ok then we get the error message: ( Illegal address for field: 'Account Number' in script ' Setup_Account_Format', script terminated. It seems we have more setup issues to consider before moving forward. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wallace.
elogic@pernet.net

After you installed the version 6.0 code on the new server, are you first launching utilities to sync the framework? Does utilities see the companies installed (ie goes right to the additional tasks window) or do you receive an error?

What I did on my last version/hdwe change was to backup the db in Enterprise Manager, then copy that file over to the new server. I also copied the Dynamics db the same way.

Then, on the new server, set up the SQL installation (same version as that you backed up in), then install a new Great Plains installation - using the same sort order and segment lengths, etc as your live company.

Once that's done, and you can open up your new 'live' company (although it's empty), back it up to HD on your server (back it up in Enterprise Mgr, that is...). Then copy over that backup file with the one you brought over from your old server - and replace/rename the file as necessary.

Then restore it over the company - mark 'force restore' in the options (so SQL thinks it's the BU you just did). When both are done, you'll have your live company on the new box. Then do the SQL upgrade seperately - in place.

The only gotcha here is that you'll lose your users and permissions. GPS wrote a script to deal with that, however - contact me offline and I'll send it to you.

//sse

Sean Engle
Admin/DirIS
ssengle@bswusa.com

If you do a Two-Computer Upgrade from 7.0 to 2000, you will have all the users and passwords (ie it will upgrade all including master) and will place those new 2000 data and log files where you tell it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back