Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Mapping Drives with New Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jed79

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
Ok, Here's the problem bare with me.

Our office used to have a simple peer-to-peer network, with local users on each XP machine. We recently setup a domain on a windows 2000 server and have been adding the XP machines to the domain.

We are having problems mapping drives on only a few machines....the problem seems to be that the machine is trying to use the domain name along with the old local username as the default. Ex...DOMAIN\LocalUserName. When we change it to DOMAIN\DOMAINUserName all is well.

It seems like a caching problem.

Any thoughts on how to change the default login to DOMAIN\DomainUserName? It's easy for me to get around, but it's frustrating for my users..

Sounds like you had some persistent connections set and need to clear them out. Put something like this in your login script. (make it a VBS file)

Set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WSHNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "U:"
WSHNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "U:", "\\server\users",True

The use of the word True above makes it a persistent connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back