Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing Windows on SATA Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junpei

Technical User
Jun 5, 2005
US
I had Windows running on the hard drive before, but I tried switching motherboards and processors and that resulted in a huge mess, so I ended up just erasing the hard drive, which took quite a bit of effort. Now when I try to get Windows Set-up to recognize it so that I can format and install Windows on it, it says it can't find any hard drives. I've only had the hard drive for about 3 or 3 and a half monthes. Another thing to note is that my motherboard doesn't have SATA ports integrated, so I have a PCI card that has 1 internal and 1 external SATA ports. I did have Windows load the drivers for them at the beginning of setup. I have a K7VME motherboard with a AMD Athalon XP 2600 + processor, ATI Radeon 9500 Pro video card, Sound Blaster 5.1 Live sound card, the SATA PCI card, CD-ROM drive, Floppy Drive, 80 GB SATA hard drive. This has been stressing me out for a few days and I can't figure it out. If any of you can help me, it would be greatly appriciated. I'll try to help other people out aswell.

When installation first starts there is a message at the bottom of the screen that says "Press F6 to install 3rd Party Software" or something to that effect. You'll want to do that and insert the driver diskette for the SATA card. That should get you to where you want to go.

Good Luck!
Rick

Rick

Oh whoops, I forgot to put that in my post. I already did that. I've installed windows on the computer before and I knew to do that. Thanks for your help though.

PCI cards that are "bootable" should display a message during startup (usually right after the POST screen completes). It should give you the option to log into the CMOS on the PCI card and look at what drive(s) are showing up. Make sure the SATA drive is listed there.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back