Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing ActiveX control through Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwooten

MIS
Jan 3, 2003
US
We have website that uses Crystal Reports which requires the use of Crystal ActiveX controls. I had published an .msi file, made from WinInstall LE, that had the required controls needed for the site. I published this in our domain policy, under the user configuration. I also added the key, "usecoinstall", for all the clients in their registry, under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings. So, when the client reaches the site, the computer looks at the registry for that key. If the key is there, then it should look at the Available Programs section from Add/Remove Programs and install the controls for the user. This is what used to happen, but not anymore.

1)It seems like that the website or computer is not looking at the registry key at all because it doesn't even try to install anything. It immediately goes to the red x in the corner and fails to load anything. Even if my .msi file was messed up, it would still try to install.

2)The .msi file is stored on our file server and I've made sure that the proper permissions are set for that folder (file).

3)I've added this website to our Trusted Site Zone, which allows almost everything, including the installation and execution of Active X controls.

4)The control does show up in the Available Programs section of Add/Remove Programs in the control panel.

5)We did implement Symantec's Web Security (proxy server) for a while but I turned it off because it was definetely affecting the installation of activeX controls. Is it possible that the clients are still seeing this proxy for some reason? When I go to the connection settings, the IP address is still listed there, but it is not checked to use Proxy so it should not be going through it.

There's not much out there on this kind of problem, at least not that I can find, so any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back