Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing 8.1.7 on AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraze

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
GB
I'm trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on an AIX 4.3.3 box. Everytime I get so far in the installation thew java console crashes (as well as the background process). I've managed to install it on 2 seperate AIX boxes (all 3 are at maintenance level 6) but this one box is giving me problems. I cant see any obvious differences between the boxes and am beginning to graspo at straws. Has anyone had a similar experience / any tips for things to check?

Hi
I have another problem with Oracle 8.1.7 64bit and AIX 4.3.3 ml 08 on a SP Node. After the installation , "connect internal" is prompting for a password.The 32bit Version of 8.1.7 doesn't prompt for a password . I resolved the problem in a "pure Oracle environment" with the init.ora parameter remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive and the orapw command. But in my case (SAP installation) , the installation scripts makes a connect internal without a password and you have no chance to hack it.There are known Oracle bugs since March 2001 (1690074 , 1729825) and we are in August ... and Oracle seems to say it is an OS problem ...

I'm impressed with your progress because I can't even get the Oracle Universal Installer to run. I'm trying to install 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3, but running runInstaller always produces errors concerning the inability to find the OUI class files, etc. It almost seems as though I have skipped stepped one and started on step two. Oracle's installer can't find it's own JRE, nor can it find it's OUI class files. I tried editting the *.ini file to use my JRE 1.1.8, but even then, the jre runs just until it can't find the class files Oiic, etc. Any suggestions? TIA :)

have you set the DISPLAY environment variable to <Host_name>:0 where Host_name = hostname of your X-Server ?(Perhaps your workstation with a corresponding X software )

Yes, xclock runs, etc. I'm not having java / oracle-installer related issues.

I managed to fix my 8.1.7 install problem by TAR'ing up the 8.1.6 installation directory and removing it (everything under $ORACLE_BASE). My 8.1.7 installation then worked perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back