Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems getting site to center in IE8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdPhreze

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
Hello all. The last time I tested this site on IE was on v.6, and it worked fine. It also works fine in Firefox (which is why I hadn't noticed this problem before). The content won't center in the browser window in IE8. I've tried everything I could find suggested, none of it seems to work.

Thanks!

Try adding a complete and valid DOCTYPE. Right now, you are rendering in 'quirks mode'.

Then, get both your HTML and CSS to validate and come back if you still have problems.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Thanks for those Billy, but they did not help me at all. The site worked in IE 5, never checked IE6, and it doesn't work in IE7. If a basic thing like centering works in FF and IE5, it should work in IE6 and 7. I know I'm ignoring the reality, but I really just hate supporting MS and their stupidity of site rendering bugs. I'd rather put in some code telling users of IE to upgrade to FF and just not display the site to IE users.

I'm not going to spend any more time on something I don't understand because it's just making me angry!

If someone who knows more about this than me could take a look, I'd really appreciate it, cause I don't know anything else to try.

Thanks!

Typo: I tested it in IE6 and it worked fine, IE7 never tested, and IE8 doesn't work.

Why doens't this site let me edit posts? Ugh!

Dan has pointed you in the right direction. Start by correcting the DocType. This will cause IE7 & IE8 to display in Standards Mode rather than Quirks mode. You can see this for yourself using the Developer tools built into IE8.

You are still not using standards mode in IE because you have a comment above the DOCTYPE.

This is a long-standing, well-documented, and well-known bug with IE.

If you remove the comment, the document will then render in standards-compliant mode (your validation errors notwithstanding).

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Billy, Thank you! It was the doctype after-all. I had altered it after your suggestion, but I did not know that a comment above doctype would cause any adverse affects. And thanks for not blowing up at me, my frustration was directed towards IE, not you... This is not the first time IE has caused me countless hours of wasted time because of something stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back