Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems getting PXE client to receive DHCP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brentius

Technical User
Apr 9, 2003
ZA
Hi guys, girls,

Please can someone help me out here... I'm struggling.

All I'm trying to do is to boot a thin client using PXE but it won't pick up an IP address (no DHCP or ProxyDHCP offers were received). I've followed several tuts but none have helped at all.

I'm running a w2k3 DHCP server on a workgroup server, and an Altiris PXE server on a separate machine. I've added and removed the option 60 "PXEClient" to the DHCP options but still nothing. Both servers and the thin client are all patched into the same switch so there shouldn't be any problems with not routing PXE traffic etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Brent

Can you receive a dhcp when you boot up normally?? also what happens when you try to seperate the dhcp servers?? (as a note 2k3 doesn't like any so called rogue dhcp servers so be careful with the Altiris one).

I would try and seperate the two servers and see what happens then.

Yeah it does receive an address upon normal boot, which is why this is making me so frustrated.

I tried installing an active-directory DHCP server (authorized 'n all) on the machine with "PXE server" loaded but that didn't work either.

I'm thinking maybe I should re-install both servers and redo it all from scratch... but soo time consuming when I've been sitting with this prob for two days now!

But Thanks Simon

Well that worked!
Put all machines on an isolated network and re-installed everything from scratch. Made sure to put DHCP server and Altiris PXE server on different machines and whaddayaknow!!!

Also found after recreating DHCP server that it was not assigning addresses upon normal boot so fixed that, then PXE boot started working. Thanks Simon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back