Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Exporting To Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX
Hi Akribie

You mentioned not to start a new thread for the same continuing question, but I don't see any other means to post my question(?)

I certainly hope you can help me with this, because I am really stuck.

Premier 6.0 (I know, this is a dirty word, but for the moment, it's all I've got)

I took a 1.5 hr. video off of a DVD and put it into My Documents.
I opened Premier and started putting together an 8 minute
title/introduction, including some still text, some rolling text, some still pics, transitions, and all with music.
I built a preview of all of my introduction- and all was covered (in the timeline) by the green strip.
I then brought the entire video out of My Documents and stuck it on the timeline following my intro.
The video itself needed a very small amount of work- no more than just cutting out of the middle about 45 seconds.
So now I have my intro and the edited video on the timeline.
Let me say here that I took that video off of a standard 4.7gb DVD disc, but when checking it's Properties in My Documents it says the damn thing is 16gb (how can this be?)
Anyway, with the video and my intro on the timeline, I am assuming there is over 16gb.
My final goal is to burn all onto a DVD. Premier Help is real vague about how to compress(?) when exporting.
I went to file>export timeline>movie, but under the 'settings' for this, there is no mention of how to go about compressing so my movie will eventually fit onto a standard DVD disc.
I need to get this entire mega-space thing off of my harddrive and finished.
Help!!!

Thank you
Paul

In Premier elements 2 there is a slider you can use to adjust the compression after you select the manual setting if your file is over 4.7g. Otherwise it is probably automatic to fit the DVD. It might be somewhere in the selection of either single or dual layer DVDs

The MPEG compression used on a DVD not only compresses each frame in a similar way to that used to shrink JPEG still images, but it also reduces file size by only recording occasional full frames and only storing the differences between frames for the rest (this is called temporal compression). The result is a small file which is very hard to edit.

When you recapture as DV for editing in Premiere 6, you convert back into a format that only compresses individual frames, but does not use the temporal compression. The result is that DV uses about 13Gb per hour. Hence the larger disk space you complain about.

At the end of the edit process, you need to convert it back to DVD (MPEG format again). There are two ways to do this using the software you mention.

1. Recompress to MPEG using Premiere, and then burn it using your Nero. This is the less easy way and requires more knowledge, but makes best use of disk space.

2. If you have the disk space (another 16Gb or so), the easier way is to export the whole timeline as a DV AVI file using File/Export/Export Movie and choosing the same preset as you used for the project. Then you should be able to use Nero to convert the DV AVI into a form suitable for burning to a DVD that can be read by DVD players as well as the computer.

As Tedsmith suggests, this whole process is made much easier by using more up-to-date versions of Premiere, but it is still perfectly feasible to get the job done using what you have already. IN particular, the latest versions can edit native MPEG files, thus saving the time and disk space of converting back into DV.

BTW, to continue adding to an existing thread, simply type your reply in the message box at the bottom of the previous entries and then use one of the two buttons (Preview or Submit) at the bottom of that box to add the reply to the thread.

My experience with Nero is that it is happy burn a video from AVI or MPeg mixed files and will produce a video from multiple clips - albeit chapters.

If the video has been cut once you could have two half-size files. The toal storage isn't any better but at least it is easier to work on smaller files.

I would choose to have several chapters - they run as one movie anyway. Scenes changes create natural breaks to cut at. It depends on how you want the movie to auto-run I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back