Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROBLEMS DOWNLOADIND GMAIL TO MULTIPLE OUTLOOK 2010 COMPUTERS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldjamesh

Vendor
May 23, 2011
US
Hello,
I recently switched my personal email from a local provider who shut down to gmail. I had been accustomed to downloading all my mail to outlook 2010 on two separate PC's and my IPhone.
I am having difficulties duplicating my prior settup. I would like all new emails to download to both of my PC's and my IPhone. Currently I receive my mail on the Iphone and whichever PC I download to first.
I want to separately delete mail from each computer and Iphone. I do not want to have IMAP delete mail from the other devices.
Originally Gmail auto set up as IMAP. I changed settings to POP and now do not receive all mail as indicated above.
Just checked my Gmail account on Webmail and my settings automatically reverted back to IMAP.??? This is the second time this has happened. Thought it was a coincidence the first time.
In outlook I have checked the do not delete from server for 10 days option on both PC's.
Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.
Thank You!
Ron

You should set the option "leave message on the server" unless the mail account type keeps going back to IMAP, in which case you are out of luck because that setting is not available if the account type is IMAP.

Maybe you didn't enable POP in gmail per these instructions:

Make sure that is done, verify you account is set up as POP3 and then check the "leave message..." option. See what happens. Check that option on all devices.

Hi Ron

1 Make sure you have enabled POP on gmail as per goombawaho's link.
2 Make sure you are accessing POP.GMAIL.COM via port 995 with SSL enabled
3 If you are using SMTP.GMAIL.COM do so via port 587 with same password as POP and TLS enabled.
4 Do not use the Gmail plugin for Outlook; treat Gmail as simple POP/SMTP.

Those are my settings and it works fine for me.
Sorry I don't use outlook so I can't tell you where to find those settings in Outlook.

I'm thinking if you just changed the account type to POP/SMTP from Imap it may not have changed the ports, and that might be causing your settings to revert to IMAP.

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back