Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems creating projector (exe file)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwahne

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
GR
Hi
I have some problems working with Macromedia Director and I would be very glad if someone could help me.

I use Director 8. I have created a multimedia application. I have created a lot of director files (dir extension) for this application with links from one to another using the "Play Movie" behavior. I have also created a projector (exe file) including all these dir files. I copied the exe file to a cd without copying the dir files. Then I tried to run my application. I tried to click on a link. A message told me that computer couldn't find the dir files!
Is this possible? Why should I copy the dir files?

Another problem is that when I tried to run the exe file on a computer with Win2000, I saw a message about "bad exe file" or something like that. I created the exe file having WinXP. Will my application be able to run under WinXP only?

Thank you for your help!

You anwered your own question regarding the linked movies. If they're not on the CD, how can your projector movie (which is) find them? They need to be on the CD in the same relative place to your main movie. Not sure what the problem is, with Win2000, I've made projectors with MX 2004 and run them on 2000 with no problem. Did you include the xtras? Maybe it's a V8 problem?

Cheers~Frank

Thank you for your answer.
I didn't copy the dir files to cd because I didn’t want other users to edit the source files. From my experience with other programming languages I knew that all other users need to have to execute my application is the executable file (exe) . BUT .....

Someone told me about dxr files. I searched director's help about it. I found some info about protected movies but I couldn't find how to create a protected movie. Can you help me?

You can protect them by converting them to .dcr files (and they'll still work) but be careful and work on copies because it's not a reversible process.

Cheers~Frank

I don't think he has to have dir files on the cd. I never did that. Just be sure you are making exe from the main movie in which you have all other dir files included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back