Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Creating CSV File

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayplus707

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I've got the thing to work, but now I'm getting pushback from the sys admin.....

Anyways, what I'm trying to do is set up a function in my asp web application, where the user can click on the link, and the record he/she is currently looking at gets saved to a CSV file. The user can then save the file locally to his/her hard drive.

The process is:
1. User clicks on link
2. CSV file is created temporarily in a folder
3. ASP reroutes user to the CSV file
4. User gets prompted to save the CSV file
5. CSV file gets deleted

This process is based on the user having a folder on the server where he/she has read/write permissions. Well, here's the problem, I've been told that once I publish this application, the production server sys admin will not give me a folder that has read/write permissions. So what can I do now? I'm thinking that either I must find another server where I can temporarily store the files, or text stream the info to the user's browser (I'm not sure if the latter option works). Any ideas? Thanks!!!

If you won't have any read/write permission you won't even able to create that file. If you will, then you can create and give a link that reads "right click and save". In this case it's not going to be deleted automatically. Your second call, streaming, is a good idea but if they lose the copy on the screen they won't able to retrieve it again if you delete it automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back