Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems connecting via pcAnywhere through a Linksys router. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheffield

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
US
Greetings,

I need to connect to my home office (preferably via pcAnywhere), however, I have a Linksys Router that doesn't let me through, effectively timing out.

I was thinking that some method of instruction must exist that would allow the router to let me through (with an authenticated password, of course).

Does a workaround exist that will allow me remote access bypassing the router?

Many thanks:)

I am not sure(since I do not own a Linksys router), but I think you may need to open up the pcAnywhere ports on the router.

The ports are TCP: 5631 and UDP: 5632

These can be changed(look on Symantec's site for instructions on that).

Also, if you have DSL it may be your provider blocking you not the Linksys. I had that problem with my DSL ISP.

Let me know if you need more help.

Roger

If you are behind a Linksys router using PC Anywhere 8.0 or higher, you should be able to connect to your remote host without a problem (have tested this before). If you are the host behind the Linksys router, you need to open up the ports TCP: 5631 and UDP: 5632 as well as setup port fowarding to the PC to pass through the router. Hope this helps.

I did this the other day. the config is in the Linksys admin program. Go to the Advanced tabs and the port forwarding is there.

Only other thing to add is that you may need a firmware upgrade from the linksys site.

Works like a dream..any issues then let me know.

I just need to confirm...

I am behind the Linksys Router.

If I want to access a PC at my office via pcAnywhere, nothing needs to be done with regards to the router configuration. Is this correct?

However, If I wish to access my home PC (which is behind the Linksys router) from my work office via pcAnywhere, I need to 'open up' ports 5631 & 5632 AND setup port forwarding to the PC to pass through the router. Can someone tell me exactly how to 'open up' ports?

I think I can figure out the forwarding part.

Many thanks,

Good morning fellow Linksys router users:

I have encountered the problem that is the subject of this thread. I'm using pcAnywhere 10.5.

I have disabled DHCP on both PCs.

And set the Forwarding ports (5631 & 5632) to the correct static IP address of the desktop (192.168.1.100) if I use this LAN address each PC can login to the other using pcAnwhere. As we all know I'm not behind the Linksys router when making this connection.

The ports on pcAnywhere have not been changed, they are still the defaults (5631 & 5632.)

I cannot call into my ISP using POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) from either PC and login to the PC behind the Linksys router using pcAnywhere. But I can call out from either PC behind the router and login to the PC connected to the Internet by POTS.

I can PING both PC's all the time.

%^$#(*&!@*&^%$ what am I missing? I need the connection to work when I'm on the road.

I would deeply appreciate any help.

Ed

I'm having the same problem as above this post. I have read allot and can’t seem to connect with this Linksys.
I had no problem before the router. After you disabled DHCP will I need to configure anything else? What exactly is DHCP?

When I have my PCanywhere running as a host. I can click on the icon witch should show me IP but I always only see
(192.168.1.100) Witch to me means it's still being blocked.

I go to work put this in our the I.P. from my router and it still wont connect.

I'm a little nervous messing with DHCP as last time I messed with it my computer stopped letting me get web page. I had to reset it then put my DSL connection info in again.

Both boxes have Win2000 pro, Bellsouth adsl,Linksys 4 port

I see a lot of questions around PCAnywhere and Linksys, I am having the same problems as well, it would be nice if anyone who knows how to setup this could make a step by step guide (keeping in mind the reader is a beginner)so details is appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back