Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems connecting to OLAP cubes from clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flybridge

MIS
Jul 7, 2003
GB
I am new to this so this may be a simple question to answer for someone out there (hopefully).

When working on the server machine I can connect to OLAP cubes using Analysis Manager and I can connect using 3rd party reporting apps. However, If I try to connect from a client machine I get inconsistent results.

Using Excel, if I try to create a new OLAP source, it can't see the server ( I have used both SERVERNAME and \\SERVERNAME) but if I create a SQL Server data source it can see the server and the tables.

Using Analysis Manager it says it can't see the server at all.

Using Crytal reports 8.5 I can see the cubes, using Crystal Reports 9 I can't.

Any ideas as to what I should be checking?

Thanks.

Are you CLient Machines in the same domain as the server?
DO the Users have permissions to the cubes?
What SP is Analysis Services at?
What version of PTS are the client machines at?

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Thanks. I have checked all the above and SP3 has been applied to the machines in question.

What confuses me is that using Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer I can conenct to the SQL2K tables, but Analysis Manager says it can't even see the server. I suspect the cause of that is also behind Excel's inability to see the server when I try to create an OLAP conenction, even though it can connect to the SQL tables.

This is now sorted. It was nothing to do with the server.

It was a combination of a faulty apps install and the client not seeing the network properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back