Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems connecting to ADSL through a LAN ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970

I have 2 PC's - one is downstairs, running ADSL 24/7. My upstairs PC is connected to this via Ethernet - this arrangement works very well most of the time. Both machines are running windows XP, the downstairs machine is the internet gateway.

My problem is that every so often, my PC decides that it is no longer connected to the internet. It tries to connect to the Internet using a modem, which I obviously don't want to do. After a little while, it lets me connect to the Net via ADSL once again.

This is hugely frustrating when I am playing games online - my connection appears to hang up completely until I return to windows and click on a few hyperlinks.

I realise there could be hundreds of possible reasons why this is happening, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm with BT Openworld in the UK if that helps at all.

As you said, there could be a bunch of causes for this. First thing I would do is go to the internet properties dialog for Internet Explorer and select "Never Dial A Connection" under the connection tab. Also go to the options for the specific connection that keeps popping up, and under options, make sure that "Redial if line is dropped" is NOT selected.
good luck
~John

Thanks chaps - I think the 'never dial a connection' suggestion has stopped the problem.
If it continues, I'll look into Winroute!
Solid advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back