Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Connecting Netgear Switches via Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATCIT

Vendor
Aug 20, 2010
US
I have a Netgear GSM7352S managed switch as my backbone and I have successfully connected a Netgear FS726TP via SFP ports without any mayor programming, just some static IP's for the switches and that's it. I’m adding a Netgear GS748TPS Prosafe “Smart switch” also via an SFP port to the GSM7352S (backbone), I get a link light on the fiber port but I can’t get traffic thru. When I looked at the Spanning Tree Status info on the GSM7352S (backbone) on the port going to the FS726TP (the working one) it shows “Forwarding” but on the port for the GS748TPS (the not working one) it shows “Discarding”. I don’t know what’s causing that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spanning tree prevents loops in your ethernet topology.

If the GSM7352S is connected to the FS726TP, that is not a loop.

If the GSM7352S is connected to the GS748TPS, that is not a loop.

If the GS748TPS is also connected to the FS726TP, you now have a loop, and spanning tree will start blocking traffic.

Unless you have set the STP Priorities, there is a very good chance that your oldest piece of infrastructure is the Spanning Tree root, rather than your GSM7352S, which you want to be the root. So lower the Priority on the GSM7352S.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

That's my problem, I don't have a connection between the 726 and the 748, each of them has only one connection to the main switch (7352), I also have an old Linksys on another building that is connected to a copper port on the 7352 with a fiber media transceiver (this one is working fine), when the 748 was not coming up I connected back the old D-Link switch that I had on that building to a another copper port on the 7352 via a Fiber Media Transceiver and it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back