Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems changing backup selections - permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdArm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Got a little screwy problem going on here. I have a Win2K server running Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 that backs up 2 Win2K/MSExchange 5.5 servers. Everything had been working fine until a few days ago. I noticed that the backups were taking significantly longer day on day, even though the amount of data being backed up was hardly changing - 10's of MG as opposed to 100's of MG. Backup times have gone from about 10 hours per backup to over 20 hours for backing up virtually the same amount of data (give or take a few MG). As we are backing up individual mailboxes I decided to take some of the mailboxes that no longer need to be backed up out of the backup cycle. So I edited the cycle and took a number of mailboxes out of the backup cycle for one of the MX Exchange servers. When it came to the second backup server, I tried to expand the selection but was met with a message box entitled 'Logon Account Selection' which proceeded to tell me that the system logon account failed to access the server. Now, the accounts haven't changed - we use one of three accounts; the domain admin account, a specific account we use for admin'ing our backup system and another account with full domain admin capabilities. These same accounts access the other email server with no problem. Now, I know there is a password/account issue somewhere, what I am beseeching of you guys is to direct me to the exact location of this annoying problem and thus a solution to it. It could be nothing but our backup server rebooted itself for an unknown (to me) reason, there was no mention of the reason for it barfing in the event log. So, after my perhaps overly long explanation of my problem, any ideas?

Thx

All services must use the BackupExecService account. Ensure that this account has FULL admin rights. If you have used your own durng the set up and recently changed your password, this can cause a problem. Run the logon account wizard and set up the service account for every server running backup exec.

Cheers ScouseGaz, but I think I found the problem and it was a bit more fundamental (and embarassing) than that! It appears that one of our email servers wasn't fully service patched and we got hit with svchost.exe vulnerability (the whole "svchosts using 99% of all CPU, thus slowing everything else down" thing). We've patched the machine up now and everything is a-okay.
Thanks all the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back