Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems after win2k server going back to FAT32 (Defragger)......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goku81

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I installed Windows 2000 server and switched over to the NTFS. I reformatted my harddrive and installed windows 98 again. I was having trouble reformatting so I reformatted via DOS this time - something I have never done before with this computer, in order to get my computer back to the FAT32 file system. I did this about a month ago. I just tried to defragment my c drive for the first time since I switched from NTFS back to FAT32. my defragger gets to about 29% and then stops. the defragger reports that there are errors on the drive. I have a one year old computer so I didn't suspect the hardware and figured the file system conversion could be the problem. Can anyone help me with this matter. the wonderful world of microsoft help does not give you anything remotely resembling a help topic other than how to run the dumb thing ;-). there's nothing on troubleshooting

You should low-level format the drive when switching from NTFS to FAT. You can use FDISK to destroy all the partitions, then recreate them and format each one. Or go to your hard drive manufacturer's web site and look for a utility they offer, as most have something that can be used for low-level formatting.

Alex

Some system BIOS programs have a built in Low level formatter too.. just saves you some time, thats all.

Skip to the red text if you don't mind reinstalling your OS.

If you don't want to totally reinstall your OS, run a virus scan and any error checkers you have (e.g. Norton Antivirus, scandisk etc). Defrag doesn't normally start if there are errors on the drive but I have seen it do this sort of thing. I've never reinstalled the defrag utility, but if you know how to it might be worth doing that.

I would say running a good error checker should get the problem sorted.

Ignore next bit.

Windows 2000 NTFS -> Windows 98 FAT32:
To get back to FAT\FAT32 use partitioning software e.g. FDISK and totally destroy all partitions.
Create a new partition using whatever space you want.
Reboot machine for changes to take effect.
Start up with CD support in DOS and use the format command on the Win98 CD.
You will now have a partition using Windows 98 & FAT32.

Getting defrag to work:
Its best to get whatever installed and then defrag so...
Install any programs you want.
Run a full virus scan of your computer (can't imagine there could still be one but always worth it).
Run Scandisk.
Run Defrag.

Bit long winded but I was bored.

wow hee, i'm surprised there's responses to somethin i posted like last year almost ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back