Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems after installing xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

telebofh

ISP
Oct 10, 2002
US
Just installed xp on my other computer. After installing all the drivers and everything, I get this problem with the video card? When using the start menu, after it goes away, it leaves outlines all over my screen from where the menu was. It does this sometimes when opening folders also, any suggestion?

ati radeon 32mb
p3 450

vid_error.JPG

Had someone of a similiar experience a week or so ago. The start menu was leaving a residual bar on the right side of where it had opened. Mine was an easy fix however, as a reboot got rid of it. I would check to make sure you have the latest drivers for the card and check to see if adjusting your resolution and refresh rates help any. MCSE, A+

I did play around with the resolution and did take the refresh rates up to 85hz. I will try them higher and also get the latest drivers directly from the website and we will see what happens, thanks.

Try Windows update to see if there are any later drivers for your card. This should take away the heart ache of installing them yourself.

Failing that remove the driver and restart this should let your machine pick up the driver again.

Other than that check out the manufacturers web site and see if any one else has had the same prob.

Gads another ATI with problems.. Seems ATI is haveing lots of errors with XP. 1. as recommended above.. REMOVE the drivers, reboot. let XP pick and install the drivers it has for your Video Card. 2. XP is famous for not liking UN SIGNED Drivers... they cause lots of errors.(make sure your drivers are signed). 3. try swapping your card to another slot. Frank Smith
s0121@Giantcomm.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back