Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems accessing resources on XP/2000 mini-LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceHigh1234

Instructor
Dec 21, 2004
US
A client of mine has a windows XP laptop and a windows 2000 desktop networked through a wireless router. I can ping both ways (XP to 2000 and 2000 to XP) via IP address and Hostname. I can access the windows XP laptop's shared files from the 2000 desktop, but I can not access any resources on the 2000 machine. When I try to view the entire network, and then click on MSHOME to expand the network tree, windows XP searches or something for a little while and gives me a message stating that it can not contact the network resource requested. You may not have the proper permissions... ask your administrator. I set the log in for sharing on the 2000 machine to defualt to administraTOr.. and the printer we are trying to access is shared. I tried using the add printer wizard and manually adding the printer via /hostname/printer_name and //IP/printer_name. No luck, and I think it's somehitng in 2000 I'm missing. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back