Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems accessing Cisco 1242ag access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcl43

Technical User
May 24, 2007
US
Hi all I have a cisco 1242ag wireless access point and I cannot get to the CLI or web forum to configure it. I plug it into my network but it is not getting an ip from DHCP server. Do I need a crossover cable? Also do I need a rolled cable to use the console port? Thanks in advance...

X-Over cable: Only if you are connecting your PC to the ethernet interface. If you are attaching the ethernet interface to a switch then a straight-through is needed

A rollover cable is needed to access the console port.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Thanks, that is what I figured. It still does not get an IP from dhcp. It is hooked up to a netgear vpn router, and there 2 netgear switches. There is no controller. How would I access the console so I can configure it? If I make a rollover cable and plug my laptop to the console port how would I connect to it?

Thanks again.

Use a terminal emulator like hyperterm or tera term and set the emulator as 9600,8,n,1 .

Thanks vipergg, I am using tera term and set the emulator as you described but it does not see com1. The cable I am using is rj45 so would I use tcp/ip connection? I wouldnt think so since it doesnt have an IP yet....still stuck here.

Thanks again

No the console cable has to go into the serial port on your pc or laptop or if they don't have a serial port like some newer laptops you will need a usb to serial converter . Your serial port is not always on com 1 either could be anything from com 1 to com 4 , you may have to play with it .

Right click on My Computer, manage, device manager, ports, right click on serial port, and it will tell you what COM port it's using. I always use Tera Term for console sessions (free download). I hate HyperTerm...

As far as your settings, no, you don't use tcp/ip. Trust me---Tera Term is much easier and more reliable. I have seen HyperTerm throw out goofy characters when trying to save to a text file, and when you scroll back up, the text is all goofed up. Also, you can't maximize the size to fit the whol;e screen.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back