Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with XP Driver for HP OfficeJet 700 series Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldanalog

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have a new Dell 2.0Ghz 254M RAM running Windows XP. I'm attempting to attach an HP OfficeJet 720 printer to it. XP doesn't come with a driver for this printer so I downloaded an XP driver from the HP website (21MB download covering all 700 sris drivers). I followed the HP instructions and the driver appeared to load properly the first time, but when I ran a test page the printer just printed some gibberish on a single line at the top of the page. I uninstalled everything and tried again with a fresh driver download from HP. This time the driver wouldn't load at all. Setup (HP Setup not XP) gets to the screen where it asks where you want the files stored; I accept the defaults and I immediately get a message that says "A severe problem has occurred. Please resolve the problem and reinstall." I've been through several iterations with the HP support staff, changed LPT1 Port settings around; re-installed, etc. but we aren't really getting anywhere. Any ideas?

Did you install the software before you connected the printer?

Hi, Oldanalog

Likely you have already done this but just last wk I had a similar problem with a cust connecting an HP LJ IIIp. Tried everything I could by phone and it would just print garbage.

Went on-site and found the printer cable wasn't seated properly at the computer end. Also found in the BIOS it was not set up as an EPP.

That fixed it. Hwvr don't ustand why you can't reinstall the driver.

Brgds
Jock

To: MEASTAUGH1
The initial HP procedure required only that the printer be turned off. I believe I had the cable connected at that time. Later attempts using HP Tech support thay had me disconnect the cable completely before attempting to install. There was no change in the symptoms.

To: JOCKMULLIN
I thought of the cable. I have another computer/printer and swapped the known-to-be-working cable for the other. No change. I've never got into BIOS settings at all; don't know what EPP is. The HP folks had me make sure LPT1 was set up as ECP.

Thanks all for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back