Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with WRT54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPang

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2003
CA
Hello,

I picked up a Linksys WRT54G router recently. Up until a few days ago, it appeared to work just fine. It's configured properly.

My WiFi notebook and Ethernet desktop connect to it just fine and get DHCP IP addresses set. Both units can see each other, share, and browse the Internet.

What I cannot do is actually open up the router's web page! I've rebooted the computers and routers without any success. IE reports a timeout when it attempts to browse to 192.168.1.100 (I changed it from 192.168.1.1). If I do IPCONFIG /ALL, I can see that the PCs are using it correctly, and I can ping the router without any problems.

Any suggestions before I end up trying a hard reset and lose all my settings?

The default DHCP scopy for you router is addresses 192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.149. As you have DHCP enabled, you have placed the routers static IP address within the DHCP scope, which is a no-no.
Linksys requires that static IPs be assigned outside the DHCP scope in order to work.

You will need to reset the router to its manufacturer's default. Hold in the reset button on the rear of the router. You want to continue holding the button until the red diag lite comes on, all the lites flash, and the red diag lite goes out. Then unplug the router for twenty seconds and plug it back in. You want to connect to the router with only 1 client PC attached, and preferably from on that has a wired connection.

You should be able to access the router at 192.168.1.1. Put back in your settings for the router, but assign it an exclusive IP in the range 192.168.1.1--192.168.1.99, or 192.168.1.150--192.168.1.254. Do not use an IP within the DHCP scope.

Lesterpang,

what is the IP address that youre using on your computer?...if its on the same range where the router is connected..like the routers default IP is 192.168.1.1..so if youre computer is running on 192.168.1.xxx...thats good...next..see if you can ping the router...go to the command prompt or ms dos prompt of the PC and then type ping 192.168.1.1...if you can ping the router...good!!!..if not set static IP on the computer...when you can ping it but still you cannot access the set up page of the router...launch the internet explorer...click on tools...internet options...connections...click the LAN settings button...make sure that there are no check marks on the three boxes....then click ok...click on the security tab...click the custom level button...under settings look for log-on..under log-on select automatic log on using current username and password...reset to: choose medium-low...then click ok...then yes if it asked u if you want to change the settings on the computer, just click yes...then click on OK...after that close the inernet explorer and then open a new one...type in you still cannot connect to that....reset the router...hope that helped...[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back