Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with workbook merging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cparker

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
I am trying to merge 2 workbooks but I get an error that says Excel cannot merge them. I shared them both and the second workbook is a copy of the first.

Why can't I merge them?

Thanks,
Colleen

Colleen,

I attempted to create a situation where I was unable to merge two workbooks, but was not able to do so. I encountered NO problems.

I would suggest that in order for anyone to be able to "zero in" on what might be preventing your merge, you need to be more specific in what steps you took.

For example, in the merge of data I made, I purposely created "linked formulas" from one worksheet to the other, thinking that perhaps linked formulas might somehow cause a problem. But, no problem.

The method I used was:

a) Highlight the range of data to be moved,

b) <Control> X to Cut,

c) <Control> <Tab> to go to the other worksheet, and

d) <Control> V to Paste.

I hope this helps. Perhaps if you didn't use the above method, you might first try this. Or, if there was a more complex situation you had to deal with, please provide the details.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Thanks Dale for your help but actually the way I was merging workbooks was not by cutting and pasting. I was trying use the Merge Workbooks feature from the Tools menu. So I had one workbook, made a copy of it, made changes to both, shared the first one and then tried to use the Tools, Merge Workbooks. It didn't work. According to book I have, that should work and I wondered why not.

Thanks,
Colleen Parker

Colleen,
When you go to merge the two workbooks back together, make sure you are in the &quot;original&quot; workbook that you set up to share. If you try to initiate the merge from the &quot;copy&quot; then you will get errors.

If this is not the cause of the problem, it may be other issues - and I will try to help you sort them out. Are you sharing these on a network with other people? Are all of the people accessing/saving to the same location?

Look forward to next post. . .
AngO

Hi AngO,

Yes, I am in the original workbook that I set up to share. I'm not sharing these on a network. I have them on my hard drive. Yes the copy is saved to the same place as my original. My original is named NYBudget.xls and my copy is names NYBudget2.xls.

I appreciate your help. I'm was about to try to teach a quick class this morning and I want to be able to show them how to merge workbooks but it isn't working for me at all.

Thanks,
Colleen

Colleen,
At any time in working with either file, did you turn off workbook sharing? This would clear the history, and cause you to not be able to merge them. Also, have you merged them more than once?

When I teach merging workbooks I create one with generic text and numbers all over the spreadsheet (names, dates, times, currency, etc.)
1. Then I set it up to share, and save it.
2. I then put it in a shared folder on my desktop, make multiple copies (one for each student - with their name as the file name).
3. I then invite them to each open their document, and make changes to it. Anything they want (add & delete data, add and delete cells, change formats, etc.) Save and close to same shared folder. Make sure everyone has CLOSED!
4. Go back to my &quot;original&quot; and open. Merge the workbooks back together (selecting all of the files at the same time).

There are several reasons I do not use &quot;realistic&quot; data in my example. They don't get to see some of the biggest issues with merges that way.
Lets say you have 8 copies to merge together, and only 5 are ready but you want to start working on it. If you go ahead and merge those 5 copies, then later pick up the remaining 3 - if any cells in those remaining 3 where already changed by the previous 5; then you won't even see their changes for those cells, because you already &quot;accepted&quot; a change for that cell.
Formatting changes don't prompt you to accept/decline them, and most people are amazed by this. So, you get lots of colors/fonts etc, that people weren't expecting.

Best Wishes,
AngO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back