Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Wordpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambatim

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
IN
I have Wordpad associated with .txt files.
When I double click on a .txt file, having spaces in the file name (Ex. My File.txt), Wordpad says the file 'My' not found. Instead of taking full file name, it is taking only the name till space(in the above example My) and says, the file not found. But it works when open the fiel from Wordpad menu File->Open.
Does anybody know how to fix this issue with Wordpad.

Thanks in advance
Mallik

Diancecht, I think you mixed up threads there somehow... seeing as I do not see where COOKIES in ASP.NET have to do with a WordPad problem...

Ambatin, I'm almost certain that the problem lies in the REGISTRY, and that there Quotes are missing under the pertaining key... which one that is, I am still looking into that...

you could try this for starters, right click a TXT file and associate it with Notepad, to be save reboot, and then try to associate the file with WordPad this time and see if that cleared out the problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I don't understand anything from that page. I am not a MS programmer. Could you please explain what needs to be done...??

Thanks in advance
Mallik

Open Explorer, go to Files->Tools Folder Option then click on the Files tab.

Look for your file type there inn your case .txt

Click on Advanced, and then look at the list of Actions. click on "Open" and then on the Edit button.

In the small dialog, look for the line that says "Application used to perform Action:"

Make sure the %1 in there is surrounded by quotes. if there is no %1 then added in your self, so the action looks like

Code:
C:\Windows\wordpad.exe[red]"[/red]%1[red]"[/red]

O.k your way out, and try to open a text file.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks Vacunita,
It worked.

Thanks in advance
Mallik

Interesting how MS believe this to be a redundant problem "Applies to Windows 95"
when it clearly isn't, probably can happen in Vista and Windows 7 too!

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back