Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Windows losing focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

weberm

Programmer
Dec 23, 2002
US
I recently noticed a problem with my computer losing focus and wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I thought it was the newest version of AVG I installed (2013) but I noticed this recently started happening on other computers as well and they don't have AVG installed. The most recent time was last week after Windows installed a new service pack but cannot say for certain it's the culprit. It's really annoying to be typing something and the object suddenly is now longer in the foreground and sometimes refuses to stay in the foreground when I click on it. [pc]

I've only noticed the losing focus bit on W7 when it goes into its wait cycle. I've never noticed it on XP.

Is this on a laptop or a desktop? Laptops with touchpads lose focus when any part of your hand touches the pad. You may not think you've touched the pad but you have. Best go for machines with a joystick or an external mouse and switch off clicking on the touchpad completely.

The not staying in foreground when you click on it has been there as far back as I can remember. Just click somewhere else then click back on the window and it will come to the foreground. It is basically Windows redoing the Z ordering and assuming that the winndow you happen to want on top is the one on top so it doesn't do anything. Happens on Solaris, HPUX, Linux and MacOS as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back