Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with vtmenu on hmc and ssh 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSch

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
DE
Hi folks,

I'm trying to connect to the hmc and run vtmenu using the following command:

Code:
ssh hscroot@hmc "export TERM=vt220; vtmenu"

After that the screen becomes blank. Now I need to press <Enter>. The screen remains blank but if I scroll back one screen I can see the vtmenu output and choose any option I like.

Problem is: I don't want to have to press <Enter> AND I don't want to have to scroll back one screen every time I use this.

Now you might ask "What's the matter ? Just do it like this:"

Code:
ssh hscroot@hmc <Enter>
vtmenu

"And everything will be fine".

That's true !
However: I'd like to integrate this command into a shell script of mine and therefore I need it do be executed in ONE command(line) ...

Any ideas how I could solve that issue ?

Regards
Thomas

I don't think you can do that.
When you ssh and get to the shell (restricted shell in this case), you get a valid tty device.
When you remote execute a command via ssh, you do not get this.
Maybe change your approach.
What are you trying to achieve?

&quot;If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been.&quot;

I'm trying to create a little "gimmick" ...

I wrote a shell script providing me a menu structure containing a lot of helpfull features.

Next I created a desktop link to a PuTTY session on my windows workstation that automatically logs into the system where the script resides and automatically executes it, so that I get the menu on screen with just two mouse clicks ... ;-)

Now I was hoping that I could enhance the menu itself so that it would provide me a way to automatically log on to the hmc and execute the vtmenu without me having to do it manually.

Regards
Thomas

Why not:

Code:
ssh [red][b]-t[/b][/red] hscroot@hmc vtmenu

Regards,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back