Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with vpmsece3.dll when opening Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtayloratppld

Technical User
Aug 17, 2007
US
I just did a test migration of one of our PCs that was running Symantec 10.0. Now everytime the person opens Outlook 2007 they get this message:

"The add-in "symantec antivirus" (C:\program files\symantec antivirus\vpmsece3.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by outlook. Pleae contact eh add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uninstall the add-in"

All of our PCs have the Symantec Outlook plugin installed. Is there a way to avoid this message or should we expect to get it on every client? Anyone else run into this??

I did find out how to fix the problem but I need to find out how to keep it from happening in the first place. Thanks.

this may explain:

This problem happens because the Extend.dat file contains cached information. Outlook does not update the contents of the file when you start Outlook. When you delete the Extend.dat file, Outlook creates a new copy of the file with current information from the registry.

I'm aware of that fix. I was hoping someone would know how to prevent this from happening in the first place. It will be a pain to have to delete extend.dat on our 400-500 client PCs.

Don't you love symantec? Actually the problem seems to stem from Outlook. Don't you love microsoft? :)

Anyhow, you could try adding it to your login script. The logic would include going into every profile but the file is located in the same location making that a little easier.

Or push the script via SMS if you have that available.

Yeah, I thought about using a login script to delete extend.dat. Again though, that's a messy process and I think there should be some way of avoiding it. But that doesn't look to be the case.

We don't use SMS but we have Altiris. So there might be a way to push it out with that and delete that file at the same time. I'll have to investigate that.

Just do something like this:

cd c:\temp
del /s BadSMS.log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back